Merrill- Scott Mansion
Reported History -
The beginning started back when the town of Merrill was still
known as Jenny.
Jenny was an Indian and when she died she was buried on a
hill. Many years later
a mansion was built, Scott mansion. Jenny was a Native
American girl whose beauty charmed the white men. When an
epidemic of influenza spread through the tribe and killed Jenny,
the chief blamed the white men. Jenny was buried on the hill
where Scott Mansion would later stand.
The chief dedicated the hill to his daughter’s memory and
cursed any white man who would dare violate it.
The house has several strange connections to it; 1st the
house was built on an
Indian burial ground, in fact the 3 trees that grew over
Jenny's grave still
stand next to the house 2nd the man who built the Scott
Mansion died on the
Titanic and then the original owner died in the house. Now
the house is lived in
by the sister of the holy cross because the are the only
people who have not
gotten chased .
Here is the history that can be validated from historical
records. We have included the strange deaths that accompany the
Mansion. As far as we could determine the deaths are legitimate.
There does seem to be a lot of coincidental deaths and bad luck
that plagues the Scott Mansion land.
Real History -
1883 -President Chester A Arthur signed the deed for the
property to be
purchased by T.B. Scott
1884- The foundation of the home was laid. It was to be 3,000
1886 - On October 7th T.B. Scott died suddenly. His property
was left to his wife, along
with $5,000 to finish it.
1887- Ann Scott died suddenly and was buried next to her
husband. Their son Walter went to Chicago to inform the
architect that the hill was cursed. Walter was killed with a
1893/4- The unfinished home was sold to a gentleman from
1897- The home was sold to Danning & Co
1890- Owners were unable to find the abstract to seal the
1900- Chicago gentleman(Kuechle?) signed over the deed to
Tony Barsanti. Kuechle went insane and died in an asylum, while
Barsanti was stabbed in Chicago’s Union Station.
1901- George Gibson from Illinois bought the home, he closed
up his office and went to inspect the Scott Mansion and was
never seen again.
1906- Mrs. Fehlhaber bought the home with the hopes of
putting a hospital there. Mrs. Fehlhaber was out on a buggy ride
and she felt death approaching and stopped at a nearby farmhouse
and died before a doctor could arrive.
1911 - The caretaker, not the builder went home to England to
England. In the spring he booked a sail on the Titanic and was
listed among the missing.
1912- Lyoydsen became the new caretaker, after moving out
west he died of alcoholism.
1919- Herman Fehlhaber gave the property to the city of
1923- The city of Merrill gave the Scott Mansion to the Holy
1938 -The exterior of the building was renovated
1952- The building was remodeled to become apartments
1967- The Mansion was used for a Junior College dormitory
1971- The entire building was used by the Junior College
1974 Since the closing of the Junior College the Mansion has
again been used by
According to Dolores Mielke author of T.B. Scott Mansion
there are several myths
about the Scott Mansion. She has produced these facts.
Early Merrill received its name from the surveyor who called
“Virginia Falls”. This was shortened to Ginnie then Jenny
There was never an Indian girl named Jenny- No one prior to
1892 had ever
heard of her, Jenny appears to be from the imagination of a
Milwaukee Newspaper man during the 1892 Merrill Strike
The Merrill Daily Herald Jan22,1921 reports that the town of
Merrill was originally named Jenny Bull Falls. When T.B. Scott
arrived the town was known simply as Jenny