was founded by a group of Norwegian
Lutheran clergymen and opened its doors in 1905. The hospital
served 195 patients during its first year. A Norwegian immigrant
named Dr. Hans Christian Midelfart, along with five of his
colleagues, opened the Midelfart Clinic in downtown
Due to space limitations, 18 physicians moved to a new
West Clairemont Avenue
The Clinic also changed its name to Midelfort Clinic.
In 1995, Midelfort opened a five-floor medical office
building that was attached to Luther Hospital.
Today the Midelfort Clinic is one of the largest
multi-specialty groups in Wisconsin.
used to be the old morgue is located in a secluded part of the
basement in the oldest section of the hospital. Currently
it is used as a storage area and access is restricted to a
have been in contact with an employee who related to us a story
about a security guard who was hired by the hospital and
suddenly quit after working for only one week. During a
routine inspection of the fire extinguishers in the old morgue,
the security guard had observed the phantom nurse carrying a
baby as she strolled between two rows of shelves. He
immediately walked off the job and never returned. If
anybody knows the identity and/or whereabouts of this security
guard, please contact us, as we would be interested in
contact also reported recently hearing a ghostly female voice
ask "hello?" as if inquiring as to who's there.
The employee responded to the voice, but quickly discovered
nobody was present. Apparently several of the employees
have had similar strange experiences and have noticed an uneasy
feeling of some type of ghostly presence in the hospital.